Tuesday, February 26, 2013

3 more dead in Bangladesh: Legacy of death continues

An activist has died of injuries sustained in clashes with police on the 16th of February. He succumbed to his injuries at a private hospital in the capital Dhaka on Monday morning at around 11:30 am local time. Deceased Rahat was a resident of Kaistarael at Dokhin Surma in Sylhet.
Injured Rahat being taken to hospital Source: banglanews24.com

Sylhet City Shibir Assistant Student Welfare secretary, Ali Ajgor Khan Rahat was part of a procession that Jamaat and Shibir activists had taken in protests against killing of at least 10 protesters by brutal police firing at Cox's Bazaar , of whom at least four were Jamaat activists.     

Witnesses said the Jamaat-Shibir activists brought out a procession in the area at about 11am protesting the deaths of four their four workers by police in Cox’s Bazar. As the processionists were passing by Nayasarak point, police chased them from behind, triggering the clash, which lasted for 15-20 minutes. The activists then hurled brickbats at the law enforcers, who also retaliated by firing shots and lobbing teargas shells. They also set off three ‘sound grenades’ to disperse the Jamaat-Shibir activists.

Two of the bullet wounded were identified as Shibir activist Ali Asgar Khan Rahat, also student of Modon Mohon College, and Russel Ahmed, a student of MC College.   

Witnesses said that Rahat was injured by a bullet that pierced his left chest and exited via an adjacent area on his back. Injured Rahat first was admitted to Sylhet Osmani Medical College Hospital and then sent to Dhaka as his condition deteriorated. Hospitalised for over a week, he breathed his last on Monday morning.

On Sunday night, another activist succumbed to his injuries at Osmani Medical College Hospital. The deceased was identified as Abdur Rahim Suhin, 40, son of late Sadi Mia and a residence of Manikpara road area.
Dead body of Hafez Rashidul, Source: Naya Diganta

In another heart breaking event, the dead body of Hafez Rashedul, a young madrassa student, surfaced at the banks of the Padma after he was reported missing on joining the processions called by Islamic parties on Friday the 22nd of February. He had been part of demonstrations at Rajshahi last Friday and is alleged to have been attacked by police and ruling party Chatro League activists before being thrown into the river.

إِنَّا لِلّهِ وَإِنَّـا إِلَيْهِ رَاجِعونَ

No comments:

Post a Comment